As part of Temple Beth Shalom’s “Caring/Chesed” activities, TBS CareersConnections offers assistance for Temple members who are looking for employment or considering a career/life style change. In addition, TBS CareerConnections provides opportunities for Temple members to build their professional networks.
Coordinated by TBS members/volunteers Sheryl Hirsch and Sharon Greenholt, TBS CareerConnections offers:
- Confidential personal consultation and networking assistance
- Networking Opportunities
For more information, please contact Sheryl Hirsch at email@example.com or at 781-799-0614.
- Back on the Career Track: Top Strategies for Returning to Work, Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 7:30 p.m. in Simon Hall.
Carol Fishman Cohen, co-author of the acclaimed reentry strategy book, Back on the Career Track and co-founder of iRelaunch, will present career reentry strategies for those looking to return to work.
- Why You Are More Marketable Than You Think: Identify Your Transferable Skills & Increase Your Employment Options, Thursday, Jan. 10 at 7:30 p.m. in Room 15.
Led by Sharon Greenholt, former VP Human Resources, Recruiter and Trainer. Using creative and fun exercises, participants will be invited to examine their unique skills and attributes to clarify their personal preferences and passions for work. The program is designed to help participants uncover (and explore) career and lifestyle options, that may not have been obvious!
- LinkedIn Workshop, Tuesday, Apr. 9 at 7:30 p.m. in Room 15.
Learn how to maximize this powerful networking and social media tool to build your networks and streamline your job search. Led by Morris Porter, TBS member and social media expert with more than 20 years of technology and sales experience. Morris is currently the Vice President of Sales and Business Development at Yottaa, and is also a founding director of TBS' career support initiative, TBS CARES, predecessor to TBS CareerConnections.
To RSVP for workshops, or for more information on TBS CareerConnections,please contact Sheryl Hirsch at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 781-799-0614.
Previously held workshops:
- What Color is Your Parachute? Led by Sharon Greenholt.
- "What’s Your Type?” The Myer-Briggs Type Indicator Led by Debbie Lipsett.
- LinkedIn/Twitter Workshop Led by JVS social media specialist.
Confidential Personal Consultation and Networking Assistance
Temple members can meet with a TBS CareerConnections volunteer or other member to discuss his or her job search or to network. Contact Sheryl Hirsch at email@example.com or Sharon Greenholt at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Through the TBS LinkedIn Group, you can view and share job leads and communicate with other TBS members on career topics. To join the Temple Beth Shalom LinkedIn group, visit LinkedIn and enter “Temple Beth Shalom, Needham” in the group search field. You can also network at various Temple activities and events, as well as one-on-one with other members.
- JVS, Jewish Vocational Service, through its Career Moves division, offers a wide range of services and programs for the professional level job seeker. They provide one-on-one career counseling, job search coaching, social media tutorials and classes, as well as networking events and career panels. Career Moves @JVS also supports a weekly career networking group at Temple Ohabei Shalom, 1187 Beacon Street in Brookline, MA. The meetings are held Wednesdays at 10:00 AM and are sponsored by the Temple’s Brotherhood. For more information contact email@example.com.
For more information on JVS, visit www.career-moves.org
- www.transitionsneedham.org. “TransitionsNeedham” is a program located out of the Presbyterian Church at 1458 Great Plain Ave. Visit their website to learn more, you can also join TransitionsNeedham LinkedIn community.
- Other helpful organizations include the Needham/Newton Chamber of Commerce at www.nnchamber.com.
How can TBS members help?
Can you spare an hour and network with a TBS member?
(Minimal time commitment and based on your availability)
One of the best ways to support those in the job search process is through networking. You could perform a true “mitzvah” by meeting with a temple member looking for ideas on his or her job search or career change.
Are you an employer, or do you know of job opportunities?
Do you have expertise and or connections with others in a certain field?
Please join our LinkedIn group and let us know about your background. And if you are an employer, or know of job openings, please consider posting them on the TBS LinkedIn web site, or contacting TBS CareerConnections.
If you are interested in TBS CareerConnections for career support, or to help others in the Temple Beth Shalom community, please contact Sharon Greenholt at firstname.lastname@example.org or Sheryl Hirsch at email@example.com.
The predecessor to TBS CareerConnections, TBS C.A.R.E.S, which received an“Innovation Award” from Jewish Vocational Services, was formed to meet the needs of Temple Beth Shalom members who were affected by the 2008/09 recession. Many thanks to the founders of TBS CARES, Richard Atkind, Morris Porter and Ken Spigel. Their hard work provided invaluable support to many during a challenging time. We also wish to acknowledge Rabbi Jay Perlman, Rabbi Todd Markley, Debbie Lipsett, Steve Snyder, Neil Baron and members of the TBS community who have offered their encouragement, support and time.