Temple Beth Shalom values the needs of families with young children by taking a holistic approach to nurture families from infancy throughout the toddler years through learning, arts and crafts, playing and connecting with other families. We strive for all Temple Beth Shalom families with young children feel known, connected, and part of our Jewish community. For more information about classes and events happening in the next few weeks, click here.
- Temple Tots – Temple Tots is a unique program of creative Jewish learning designed to enrich the lives of young children and their families. The whole family is invited to join us to explore the year through Jewish eyes with music, movement, storytelling and art. The class is geared towards children ages 2-5 and their families.
- Tot Shabbat – Join us in celebrating Shabbat on the first Friday of each month at 6:15PM with songs led by Josh Shriber of Jammin With You, stories, and prayers. This monthly service is designed especially for children ages 6 and under and their families.
- Kehillah Kids – This service is similar to Tot Shabbat, but geared toward children in kindergarten and first grade. Come celebrate Shabbat on the second Friday of each month at 6:15PM with prayers, songs, and stories.
- Toddler Art Class – Come bring your toddler for some fun with clay, light, lines, and colors. Each session will focus on a different art medium. We will start by reading a story and then will explore the materials together.
- Shabbat and Family Brunch Across Needham – Join other families with young children in a casual setting – a home hosted Shabbat dinner and/or Sunday Brunch. A great way to meet others in the community!
- Shabbat Hike - Join us for a celebration of nature! This is a hike geared for families with children 3-10 years old and all are welcome! We will begin by creating a personalized walking stick. And then continue with a gentle hike featuring listening to the echo of Echo Bridge.
- Parenting Through a Jewish Lens – A 10-week journey for parents of all backgrounds held at Temple Beth Shalom starting in October. Explore core values (ikkarim) that can strengthen your family. Learn with expert instructors and other parents.
For parents with children ages 0-3: Thursdays, 9:30-11am including free babysitting.
For parents with children ages 0-10: Wednesdays, 7:30-9pm.
- Zoo Day - Bring a picnic and join us for a day at the Franklin Park Zoo for a program designed especially for young children and their families! We will learn about the Jewish value of chesed (kindness) as we observe the animals in a family scavenger hunt, then enjoy a discussion with the zookeeper and a picnic lunch.
- Family Sukkot BBQ – Come for a fantastic afternoon of celebrating Sukkot at this outdoor festival. We will feature tasty barbeque (for adults and kids), great music, a moon bounce for the kids, sukkah decorating, and fun with friends new and old.
- Interfaith Conversations – Interfaith families are welcome, supported, and celebrated at Temple Beth Shalom! In addition to all of the opportunities we have for such families to engage in communal life here at TBS, we also have learning and discussion opportunities geared specifically towards interfaith couples with young children.
- Babysitter Match-Up Fair – Attention All Families in Need of Sitters! Bring the kids along for a chance to meet eligible sitters. Art projects and snacks provided while you mingle with a great group of high school and college students looking for sitting jobs! Families with children and prospective sitters are almost guaranteed to walk away with a match!
- Tikkum Olam Day – Together we will make tuna casseroles for guests of Rosie's Place soup kitchen. Rosie's Place is a sanctuary for homeless women and other women in need. Come help measure, cut cheese, stir, and mix!
- Family Film Event – Bring pillows and sleeping bags to be comfy on the floor as we watch a child appropriate movie. Free admission and snacks!
- Dancing Nancy Series – A dance class for children ages 2-3 and their adult partners with TBS's own "Dancy Nancy" (also known as Nancy Krieger). Dance, play, celebrate the coming of Shabbat, and share in the joy of music and movement.
- Purim Carnival – Grab a costume (you can dress as anything!) and come to TBS for a Purim celebration designed specifically for families with young children. Enjoy a short musical retelling of the Purim story then continue to the carnival for games run by our youth group teens, and food served by the TBS Sisterhood. Carnival tickets may be purchased at the door.
- Sprinkler Shabbat – If you are: interested in meeting other families with young children, want to cool off on a summer Friday evening, share Shabbat dinner, and have lots of fun... Then, please join the TBS community for Sprinkler Shabbat on a Friday in the summer to be determined. Please bring your own dinner, bathing suits and towels for the kids, and a picnic blanket, and join us to light the Shabbat candles and then enjoy the sprinklers! We'll provide challah and grape juice.
- Young Children's High Holiday Family Services – These spirited and interactive services are filled with music, stories, shofar blowing, a Torah parade and you! No tickets are required. Mark your calendars.