Our rabbis teach us that one of the pillars of Judaism is "gemilut hasadim", performing acts of loving kindness. The mission of the Temple Beth Shalom Social Action Committee is to provide opportunities for "gemilut hasadim" and to encourage congregants to get involved and participate in these opportunities. We especially encourage direct involvement in those opportunities to help those in need that are in our Needham community or in the Boston area. We welcome your ideas and involvement! Please contact us at [email protected].
Here is a sampling of our Social Action Projects. We hope you will join us - it's great to volunteer!
- Circle of Hope The AnnualCoat drive for COH is in progress. We hope to collect 120 coats for men, women and children during the month of November. The collection box is located in the Temple lobby. Peggy Lowenstein will also do pick-ups; contact her at [email protected].
- JF &CS Family Table Bring a can of tuna, our monthly commitment is 100 cans of tuna and 25 cans of salmon. A beautiful wooden collection box is always in our Temple lobby for your tuna and salmon donations. Volunteer opportunities for packing and distributing food for Family Table are available by contacting Nancy Krieger, [email protected].
- Mozart School The Literacy project has begun and our volunteers are tutoring and reading to children. Nancy Krieger, [email protected] is the contact person for the literacy effort. A special project to commemorate our congregation's 10th anniversary with the Perlman family will support the Mozart School.
- K'Sharim Dinner We continue a TBS tradition of providing a Shabbat dinner and service for the K'Sharim group from JBBBS (Jewish Big Brother Big Sister). K'Sharim is a group of Jewish adults with developmental disabilities who meet regularly for social events.
- Save The Date: Tikkun Olam Day will take place on Sunday, May 5th, 2019! A planning meeting will occur in January, please watch TBS This Week for details and come share your ideas for social action projects and acts of kindness to help those in our very own community — and of course, save the date to come participate! Questions? Comments? Please email social_action[email protected].